First light saw the beginning of a new south swell hitting northend. Winds were light SW and the swell was 5-6 ft and building with each set that came through. We set up in front of Southend surf club where it was a few feet smaller and more importantly a little more protected from the winds. By mid morning the waves were 5ft and 8 out of 10 waves were doing their best impersonation of Waimea shorey. Some deadly closeouts. But amongst the close out there were still some sick ones. The guys in A Grade really lit it up as did the Junior Boys and Open Women.
And there you have it folks. Our 31st season done and dusted! Congrats to all the 2015 Champions & perpetual trophy winners
Micro Boys – Mateus Bersot
Micro Girls – Sara Buick
Cadet Girls – Baylei McGuigan
Cadet Boys – Tye Koolis
Jnr Boys – Max McGuigan
Open Women – Emma McGuigan
A Grade Mens – Max McGuigan
B Grade – Andy Athineos
Grand Master – Wayne O’Neill
Clubman of the Year – Craig Lawrence
Junior Clubman of the Year – Tye Koolis
Most Improved surfer – Lucas Elfman
Junior Club Champion – Zac Michaels
Fish Buchan Open Club Champion – Jordan Gilbert
Thank you to all competitors and their families for making the 2015 season the biggest and most successful yet. I would also like to thank the generosity of all our sponsors. Without the help of these terrific companies and people we would not be able to make the club what it is. So please support these wonderful people / organisations if you can.
Sands Hotel Maroubra
Maroubra Surf & Skate
Michael Bros Automotive
South Eastern Carpentry
Let’s Go Surfing
Randwick City Council
Ok the waves at most of the contest were pretty average but 2012 there was still plenty to celebrate in and around the club.
Season 28 – 2012 saw a changing of the guard. The next crop of young Maroubra rippers led by young Monty Tait, Jackson Giles and Max McGuiggan. The groms simply took over showing up many of the older lads with some dynamic fresh and innovative surfing. The young crew are definitely taking it to the next level and inspiring the next crew of young micro groms (42 this year) to join them in the line-up.
Divisional Champions of 2012
Micro Boys – Will Emanuele
Micro Girls – Baylei McGuiggan
Cadet Girls – Charlotte Wilson
Cadet Boys – Max McGuiggan
Junior Boys – Tyson McIntosh
Open Women – Lisa Farrugia
A Grade Mens – Monty Tait
B Grade Mens – Todd Dixon
Grand Masters – Ray Farrugia
Fish Buchan Club Champion – Monty Tait
Junior Club Champion – Max McGuiggan
Clubman of the Year – Anita Peeti / Jordan Gilbert
• Surfing membership grew 60%. Up from 106 in 2011 to 170 in 2012. The increase was a direct result of the increasing number of Micros (under 12’s) that joined. 32 Boys and 10 Girls. The number of female surfers also grew this year and they now make up 28% of the membership. Also competitors under 18 now make up 42% of the surfing membership up 15% on 2011.
• The introduction of another type of membership for club supporters – Club 100 social club.
• New and improved website thanks to Richard Cass.
• The successful implementation of the computerised judging system. Away with manually adding up scoresheets and over to Ipads. All scoring is now calculated live as the action happens.
• Received funding from Suncorp Group and Souths Juniors which will go towards the purchase of new club trailer in 2013.
• The introduction of a Club Comp Sponsors. Businesses were given the opportunity to naming rights sponsor of 1 of our club comps. Thanks to those who took up the offer
o Southeast Caprentry
o Tom North Plumbing
o JazzRight Production Services
o Eastern Tiling
We must also thank our Gold & Silver Sponsors which supported the Club in 2012
o Sands Hotel Maroubra
o Dripping Wet
o Triple X wetsuits
o Jim Beam
o NG Mototek
o Campbell’s Meat at Southpoint
• Southend Team competing at Kirra Team Challenge. Placing 25th
• Combined forces with MSA and re-introduced the 1 combined Maroubra team policy for all junior teams going forward.
• Congratulations to Matt Lawson, Pete Sgouras & Richard Cass. They were each awarded Life Membership to Southend by President Weston Moore at the clubs annual presentation ceremony. Each one of them have given up so much of their time doing those little things that keep the wheels at the club keep spinning. From running the monthly club events to organising the Baxter Shield, annual presentations, attracting and maintain relationships with sponsors, building & updating websites and social media sites, raffles at the Sands Hotel. The list is endless but without their dedication and hard work over the past 10 or so years the club would not be in the position it is at the moment. Congrats again boys.
Finally thank you to all the members. Without you there wouldn’t be a club. Enjoy the summer. Avoid the blueys and keep an eye on the web for 2013 dates.