It has been a busy few month for some of our youngsters with plenty of comps being run around the country and Internationally. Here are some highlights
Jackson Giles – Up against the best U/16 surfers in the world Jackson finished in 5th place at the RipCurl Gromsearch International final held in perfect waves at Lakey Peak. A great result and a fantastic experience for the young lad. Check this vid out of the final day
Jacko also placed 3rd in the U/18 Boys division at the Oz Grom Cup held at Coffs over the Easter break then a runner up finish in the Pro Junior in NZ prior to this comp.
Monty Tait – Flew to Ecuador to represent team Australia at the ISA world championship. Monty finished 9th in the U/18 Boys division. He was the highest placed aussie in the most competitive division and his result helped Team Australia clinch the Bronze Medal in the overall standings. Both Monty and Jacko are right up there with the best aussie juniors at the moment and their success can be put down to hard work and keeping a good head on their shoulders. And I have no doubt that there success has helped drive the next generation of young local frothers
Tye Koolis – finished 4th in the U/14 Boys division at the Adrenalin 360 surf comp a few months back. Held in macking conditions at Avalon Tye charged the big waves without fear and won a deserved spot in the Final. A great result for Tye and the he was stoked with the result.
Jake Feher – has also flying the flag lately. Jake finished equal 5th in the U/8 Boys division at the Oz Grom Cup at Coffs. Jake has been surfing really well over the past few months and another one to keep your eyes on in the next little while.
In club news the Southend Team took on Bondi, Bronte and MSA at the 2014 Buckler to Bra event. Held in huge 6-8ft waves the boys came in 3rd behind winners Bronte and runners-up MSA. It was a great event. Thanks to Bondi Boardriders and FTW for running the event and thanks to the boys that competed for us on the day. The team was
Max McGuigan, Jason Platts, Sean Walsh, Stephen Attwood, Karl Melo Richards, Dylan Grujovic, Wez Moore & Jay Barron
Over the next few months there are a number of grom comps coming up.
* 7/6 – Clash of the Groms presented by Mudjimba Boardrdiers – Sunshine Coast. For more info contact contest director Max Deluca direct 0417 215 667
* 21/6 – Southside Regionals – Maroubra. Rescheduled and entries reopened. More info http://www.surfingaustralia.com/nsw/event.php?id=933
* 28/6 – 3/7 – Occy Grom Comp – Gold Coast http://www.surfingqueensland.com/event.php?id=258
* 4/7 – 9/7 -SkullCandy OzGrom Open – Lennox http://www.skullcandyozgromopen.com.au/
* 21-28/7 – NSW State Junior Titles – Port Macquarie. All entrants for the NSW Junior Surfing Titles must have qualified for their division through Southside Regional Titles
* 22-25/9 – BL Blast-Off – Whale Beach. http://www.blblastoff.com.au/